Re: Job Hunting

My two cents. Almost three years ago I left Illinois from a graduate program
for my first "Dream Job" in Washington DC. I packed up my '86 Honda Prelude,
maxed out my one credit card in the move and lived for three months with a
table and a lawn chair for furniture. Once there I promised myself I would
never return to Illinois. I loved the job, the lifestyle and most of all,
the traffic (that's right!). Then circumstances changed, and believe it or
not, I found myself in a VW Jetta driving back to my hometown in Illinois of
all places (which I really promised myself I would never do), and here I am
very happy at another job, and somewhat re-acclimated to midwest living.

I didn't have any personal committments so I could do this kind of moving.
Hiring outside of the local area is difficult, but it does happen. I was
told that the only concern my first employer had was that I was out of
state, and they had already had a bad experience with someone taking a job
and then getting homesick. But for some, like me, the move is one of the
primary decisions concerning the job, because I believe that for the most
part you can make a job what you want it to be. It's much harder to make a
city what you want it to be, and that ultimately affects your job and your
performance.

Happy holidays everyone!
Neil

Neil Dahlstrom