Re: Another Archive recruiters/Job hunting

I responded to Alan at some length off-list at some length as my experiences
may be useful for his article but would be boring to everyone else.  I did
make one point, however, that I think should be addressed to the List.

I believe many archivists have a commitment to academia but not necessarily
to archives.

I say that because so many are willing to stay with low paying jobs on
University campuses even though there are better paying jobs available off
campus.  There are, for instance, more archival jobs in county courthouses
than there are in libraries, and yet trained archivists almost never apply
for them-and the records suffer accordingly.

Similarly, there are many even more remunerative jobs in private enterprise
that archivists are well suited for but are more likely to be filled by a
former file clerk than someone with formal training.

If more archivists were willing to leave academia we would (1) make more
money immediately, (2) force our traditional employers to pay more to retain
those left, (3) gain increased visibility for our profession, and (4)
eventually be in positions that would allow us to hire more trained
archivists.

So now everyone on this list should ask themselves, are you really committed
to the profession or do you just want to hang around campus?

Paul R. Scott
Records Management Officer
Harris County, TX