film to dvd or other useful media

I am starting to investigate the possibility of converting the museum's 16mm film to a more user friendly form.  I am thinking a master on dvd and then some VHS for use in the schools etc since they don't have dvd capability right now.  First question, is there any other format anyone would suggest?  Second question, are there any companies you have worked with and would recommend? I have a few names but would like to hear from someone who has personally worked with a company.  Thank you again for all the help the list provides.

Sami

Do You Yahoo!?
Send your FREE holiday greetings online at Yahoo! Greetings.