Re: Photo Copyright

Dear Listserver members:

Hello and Help!!

I have attempted but to no avail (at least not yet) to find the answer
to my seemingly easy question and so now, bring the matter to ye, the
wisest of the listserver.

I am currently working for a university (my first archival job- yea!!),
processing a former (term ended 10 years ago) congressman's papers.   I
want to create a website for the finding guide, etc. and have some
wonderful photos, which would be great for artistic effect.   There may
be a problem with copyright/reproduction/permission issues, however.

Only some of the photos have the names of the photographers on the
back.  Several of the photos go back to the '50s and '60s.   Most of the
later-dated photos I want to use were obviously taken by press (or White
House)  photographers.

If I am not able to get in contact with those photographers whose works
I can identify (and to that extent, the question also applies to those I
can't), may I still use the photos on the website??

I have checked the State (CA) website and just went 'round and 'round on
it.  I also called the Copyright Office in D.C. -- and got absolutely
nowhere.  Spent time on the internet, until my fingers turned blue.   I
have not contacted the White House yet.

Surely, there is a quick and easy answer to this dilemma???

Thank you so very much!!

Evelyn Taylor
Cal. State Univ., Channel Islands