History in the news (sort of)

'lo all;

Apropos of yesterday's extremely offtopic conversation of appropriate
gendering of terminology, I thought some of you might find this interesting.
I happen to agree that talking about the fairness of single-gender language
in reference to 1937 is ludicrous; right or not, it is how people used the
terms then and to an extent, history is history and it happened, whether or
not we approve.

Anyway, the article below is a reprint posted on the NY Times website; they
have an entire section of reprinted historical articles, which I find
fascinating, including this obit of Al Capone.  I don't think this article
would pass muster today, given its "biased" and strident tone about its
subject, but it makes for great reading.

http://www.nytimes.com/learning/general/onthisday/bday/0117.html

DS

Daniel Sokolow, Archives Coordinator
David Taylor Archives
North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System
155 Community Drive
Great Neck, NY 11021
mailto:dsokolow@nshs.edu