Re: Digital image management software (sort of)

Lynn,

Though it is not a recommendation of software, I would like to point out
the Northeast Document Conservation Center <http://www.nedcc.org/> and
their workshops that include a "School for Scanning" (no apologies offered
to Sheridan) that cover technical and logistical aspects of projects such
as yours. At the session I attended in 1997, the three day seminar covered
areas such as choosing platforms for your data that would allow smooth
migration when they inevitably become obsolete, metadata options for
organization and retrieval and numerous case studies of preservation
projects. As another list member has pointed out, and I wish to echo, your
project appears to be of a size large enough to warrant thorough study and
attention to project management prior to selecting software.

Regards and good luck in your project,

Peter Hirsch
Cataloger (and archivist current without a collection) - Dance Division
phirsch@nypl.org
New York Public Library for the Performing Arts
40 Lincoln Center Plaza
New York, New York  10023
(212) 870-1728