CA and Jobs

I held off moving into this debate, but I feel compelled
to point out something.   Many of us have to recruit through
existing employment channels and often we cannot simply
unilaterally specify "CA only."   We may not even be able
to require history degrees!    Sometimes given the salaries,
we know that a potential candidate is not going to move
from a lower cost-of-living area to a higher-cost-of-living
area, thus our candidate pool may be limited to available
locally.   We can get around this by specifying qualities
that we'd like to see in the applicants but not be requiring
them.   Thus, "CA preferred" may be an acceptable way
of keeping the job open to talented people but calling attention
to the desirability of a CA.

Our new Board of Trustees hired a "headhunter" firm to handle
our presidential search.  The first question was whether the new
president should have a Ph.D.   Many of the trustees--successful
business people--felt the field should be open.  After all, someone
pointed out, Colin Powell does not have a Ph.D.!  So the
advertisement was written that while a Ph.D. is desirable, it is not
a requirement, given alternative success in business, management,
and professional career.

Dean
Dean DeBolt
University Librarian
Special Collections and West Florida Archives
John C. Pace Library
University of West Florida
11000 University Parkway
Pensacola, FL  32514-5750
Tele:  850-474-2213;   Fax:  850-474-3338