Re: looking for online help for preservation of family ephemera

Thank you to all who responded to my inquiry.  I'm all set.

I was looking for URL's that could be mentioned in a very short newsletter
piece about preserving your family's memories.  The audience is Mr. or Mrs.
Average City Employee -- with internet access, of course.  I assume no
conservation knowledge; I wanted basic, basic stuff, and certainly nothing
about intellectual control.  My hope was that out of an interest to protect
their old family photos, these people might also come away with an awareness
of the environmental issues we face in preserving city records. (My
"backdoor" educational approach.)

These are the three URL's I am going to mention.  Anything more would be
overwhelming for my audience and my purpose.

"...Old letters, photographs and scrapbooks are our family records - records
that we plan to take care of "some day" - records that are subject to decay
if not properly cared for. The Central Michigan University Library has a
very helpful site at http://www.lib.cmich.edu/clarke/pres.htm#PI . Here you
will find information on the environmental threats to those family letters,
diaries, books, photographs, and tapes you want to save for your children
and grandchildren, and you will find some tips on how to properly care for
those materials.  (The Northeast Document Conservation Center also published
a leaflet titled  "NEDCC Offers Hints for Preserving Family Collections"
available at http://www.nedcc.org/leaflets/fmlycol.htm.)  Finally, when
you're ready for more in-depth information on preserving family treasures or
if you have a specific problem, visit Conservation Online's list of online
tutorials and self-help preservation resources available at
http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/bytopic/genpub/...";

C'est tout.  Merci.

Paul R. Bergeron
City Clerk