Re: From "This Just In..."

Dean DeBolt wrote:

   Most of the materials that
> an auditor is going to require are those kinds of materials that I
> would not save as an archivist -- cancelled checks, bank state-
> ments, reconcialiations, cash posting ledgers, cash register
> tapes, budget transfer transmittals, and the like.

Very interesting that this topic should come up right now.  On
Wednesday, I received a phone call from someone working for a Polish
movie production company.  They wanted examples of receipts, invoices,
purchase orders, and various other financial records that American
businesses would have used during the 1950's, so that they could make
authentic-looking props.  These are the types of things that I would be
inclined to discard as having no research value when processing a
collection.  I spent a good portion of my day yesterday scrambling
through our collections looking for some examples of these items.  The
next time I see ephemeral material when processing a collection, I'll
think twice before disposing of it.  You never know what use someone may
have for it.

Incidentally, this person was also interested in American telephone
books from the 1950's.  We don't have any, but if anyone on the list
does, contact me.

Andy
--

Andy Hempe