questions for Florida archivists, historians, librarians re: coco nut

I have a few questions aimed primarily at Florida archivists, historians and
librarians - but others are welcome to chime in - about a coconut we have
here at our university. It may sound ridiculous, but it's no joke -
honestly.

We have a coconut that was mailed to one of our professors some time between
1928 and 1940. An address label was written up, stamps were affixed to the
label, the label was nailed to the outer husk (I don't know if that's the
correct term) of the coconut, and it was mailed from Palm Beach, Florida, to
Mitchell, South Dakota, without any extraneous packaging.

Here are my questions:

1. Was it common to mail coconuts as souvenirs in such a way, or is this
truly bizarre?

2. Are there reverse directories, such as Polk city directories, for Palm
Beach that someone could use to tell me who lived at this particular return
address between 1928 and 1940 or what was at that address? (I'll provide the
address to anyone who would be willing to help me with this.)

3. The person who has the coconut has offered to give me a photograph of it
along with the address label and stamps for the archives. Would it be better
to leave the label intact on the coconut and hope that it eventually will
make its way to the archives? Or would it be better to have just a photo and
the address label?

I'm enjoying the humorous aspect of this research project, but I'm also
taking it seriously and would appreciate any suggestions and advice.

Thank you.

Laurie Langland
Project Archivist
Layne Library, Dakota Wesleyan University
Mitchell, SD
lalangla@dwu.edu