Re: Electronic Archive

On Fri, 18 Jan 2002, Nancy Iannucci wrote:

I would agree that making a paper copy is wise and needed to make sure no
information is lost.  However, I still think we must try to preserve the
electronically born documents.

But another question pops to my mind.  How would we print into rag paper a
.MOV or .WAV?  Interactive web pages from the researcher's pharmacy
classes, how would we best place them into paper?

Mr. Sokolow said, "(and there's an altern to migration called emulation,
which is worthy of longer discussion),"  I wish he would go into more
detail about this . {thank you about the information on to unsubscribe and
re subscribe to the list serve.}

Would using paper and following a migration plan (or emulation) plan be a
wise move?  It might cost more in man hours, shelf space, and so on, but
with this method of using both paper and electronic we preserve the
information and integrity of the documents.

> Would you suggest making paper copies of the information contained? I would.
> Who knows if in the year 2094 that there will be a compatible machine to
> view these documents. There probably won't be. Putting all the current craze
> aside regarding the hi-tech world band wagon jumping fads (we need to be
> warned about making arbitrary discussions) just so we can say:  "yeah, I'm
> hip.  I'm in with the hi-tech Dilberts."  In my opinion, for some cases it
> is not "old fashioned" and or even "archaic" to be playing it safe with
> paper copies.  Do you agree?  I feel this constant abrupt need to do things
> "Hi-Tech/electronic" because it is a more current and up-to-date view- could
> be dangerous. What gives us the right to say/know that this will and will
> only be the medium of the future.  This is not to say that I shy away from
> technology- in many ways it is great, easier, and makes most tasks run 10x
> smoother- and at times it is just simply not feasible to make paper copies
> (too much time and effort).   But, I am just simply saying...we shouldn't
> shun paper copies...we have to look at all options...without casting aside
> anything because of society's "current" taboos.
>
> Nancy Iannucci
> Archivist/Librarian
> Emma Willard School

James Beaven