Re: Fw: Re: Electronic Archive

No problem Patrickt,

The Scenario that I gave
A significant researcher in pharmaceutical studies has passed away
(1925-2006), his/her spouse brings the researchers personal papers and
research to the university archive/manuscript repository.  Many of the
course syllabus are in HTML, most of the papers are in Microsoft Word 6,
MS 2000 and Word Perfect, Excel spread sheets, power point presentations,
access data base, Ebooks, pdf files, TIFFs, JPGs, GIFs, MOVs and other
electronic formats.  All this information is contain in several boxes that
contain 60 zip disks, 100 CD ROMs, 50 DVDs, 200 3.5 floppy disks, and 15
5.25 floppy disks.  No paper and no index.  We are not sure which files or
types of files are on which storage medium.

What I think I would try,
Have all files printed to acid free paper.  The researchers spread sheets,
documents, web pages, power point presentations, Photo Images, and
everything else.  Indicators of File name and which disk the item was
from.  I.e. (1-25-01.doc {Microsoft word 6.0} from zip disk #2 folder
research, sub folder HIV virus)
Because 6.0 is already starting to become out of date would migrate to MS
2000 and record this information and save to archival disk copy. In Folder
zip disk 2/research/HIV virus/1-25-01.doc.  Set schedule to have migrated
again with next advancement in MS Word.

Even though all the corporations claim their CD, DVDs and storage mediums
have 100+ year life spans we can not be certain.  I would have one year
check scheduled to look for electronic seepage on all storage mediums.  If
any file is found to be suffering from electronic seepage all files would
be transferred to a new storage medium.  If our computers get upgraded and
new storage mediums are included we would transfer everything to a new
storage medium then as well.  I.e. (find a computer that has a 5.25 disk
drive, transfer all files to a 3.5 disk. Noted in the record floppy disk
5.25 A, transferred to 3.5 floppy disk entitled 5.25 A-1 with list of all
documents transferred over.  When it looks like zip will replace 3.5
floppies in computers have all 3.5 transferred to zip disk)

Wow as I look back at my basic plan it is getting very complicated.
Please anyone jump in give opinions on this basic plan.

James Beaven
Digital Librarian
Jacksonville Public Library
Jacksonville FL