In Search of Archives

We are hoping to launch a records survey of permanent/archival records
permanently being held by state agencies.  The offices, for the most part,
are holding these records because they need access to them on a regular
basis - so they will probably never come to the archives.  Our long-term
goal is to find these records and conduct preservation/organization training
for the offices holding permanent records with the final goal being to enter
the collections in our catalog.

I am wondering if there are any of you out there that have conducted such a
survey (or anything remotely similar) - and if you would be willing to share
your experiences with us (the experience doesn't have to be specific to
state government - corporate/education/federal government experience would
be very helpful too).  If you have done such a survey, did you receive grant
money for any portion of the project.

Any advice or insight would be helpful.

Thanks,
Val Nye
Senior Archivist

New Mexico State Records Center and Archives