encouraging development

I agree that this is an important issue but sometimes it's out of our
hands.  So much depends on the culture of the  larger organization--whether
or not they make sure managers and supervisors have proper training.  In
addition, some organizations don't even have a structure in place to
promote their staff within the organization or the budget to allow staff to
pursue development.  Some choose not to reward staff (in any manner) for
developing themselves.

It also depends on motivation and initiative of the individual as well.  As
for myself, I could easily sit on my butt and not do anything due to my
limited budget.  However, I have chosen to create opportunities for myself
by seeking out individuals who could help me learn, by organizing and
hosting low cost workshops in my area,* and visiting repositories within
driving distance to learn from them.  My own organization and immediate
supervisor never suggested or encouraged me to do these things but was
naturally pleased that I chose to take the initiative.  I have never
received any "rewards" or recognition for developing myself but I do this
for myself and because I care about doing a good job.

*with much help from colleague Linda Miller!

At 02:21 PM 1/29/2002 -0800, you wrote:
>I don't know folks. It seems to me that while our thin skins are being
>pricked by reactionary responses, we are possibly missing some of the
>essential points. As we look within our individual organizations how many
>Ms. Youngs do we have? Are we doing everything we are able to foster and
>promote development within our staff? Is this something that is important?
>Should this be one of the roles we pursue as professionals? Aside from the
>personal decisions Ms. Young made, I think we should be asking ourselves
>whether or not the next article will have our name attached to it. I think
>we should see this as more of a wake up call to promote development than as
>a criticism of the profession as a whole. For those of us working in the
>University environment, I would hope that we identify the chasm between
>staff and non-staff as an important issue in the article. Shouldn't we be
>more concerned with reducing the gap and promoting archives and archival
>development to all, rather than pointing out our views on the career choices
>of MS. Young?

Beth S. Harris
Special Collections Management Librarian
Wyndham Robertson Library
P. O. Box 9000 / 7950 E. Campus Drive
Hollins University
Roanoke, VA  24020-1000