[no subject]

Apologies for the duplication as I've posted this to
SAAMUS-L also.  A curator at MPM passed this on to me
from NHCOLL.   If anyone can assist  Michael Cooper,
please reply directly to him.   His email is
michaelc@notmusbhy.demon.co.uk .  Thanks very much.

Judy Turner
Director, Library and Archives
Milwaukee Public Museum

> Hi chaps
>
> In 1878 Nottingham Free Natural History Museum
bought a mounted gorilla
> from
> the firm of Vasseur of Paris. We still have him
(he's definitely male,
> despite having been, er, reduced several times over
the years), and he's
> one
> of our most popular exhibits. There is a story
associated with him (a
> bit of
> curatorial folklore basically) that claims he
predates the accepted
> advent
> of mounted gorillas in Europe with du Chaillu in the
1850s. But trying
> track down the origin of this story has proved
impossible, and the
> museum's
> own acquisition records from this period are too
vague to help. We have
> heard a rumour that the Vasseur company's archives
survive "somewhere in
> America" - but where? Does anyone know anything
about this company and