Collections Restrictions

Dear Colleagues:

Our archives may be receiving a collection that contains records from a lawsuit. The lawsuit happened years ago and all the legal issues have been resolved. However, many of the participants in the case are still alive. My archives is in the process of reviewing its collections access policy with special attention being paid to the issue of when to restrict access. We would be interested in hearing about how other archives have handled the issue of restrictions on sensitive materials and how they have dealt with the lawyer/client confidentiality privilege.

Any examples of such policies that you could forward to me would greatly be appreciated.
We are a private archives and as a result have more freedom with this issue than public institutions, but I'm sure this issue effects all types of archives in one way or another.

Thanks for your help,

Laura Mancini
Archivist
Cranbrook Archives