Re: WA STATE LIBRARY

Apart from the obvious concerns raised by this article - i.e., the fate of
3.5 million volumes, archival collections and 145 staff members; the
practical considerations of how to shut down an entire research library;
etc. - I found one line from this article particularly telling, even if it
is not entirely clear in its meaning.  The House Appropriation Committee
Chairwoman "said she thought the functions of a library have changed with
the growing popularity of the Internet."  Interestingly, the article
earlier notes that the State Library maintains an online search service to
information about state government and regularly responds to e-mail
reference requests.  Does the Chairwoman (and others) think the Library has
not used the Internet to improve services and efficiency, or that the
Internet, as it currently exists, can provide all, or a sufficient level
of, the services offered by the Library?

In addition to political expediency and ignorance of the library's value
and functions to the state, I can't help but wonder if the State Library
has failed to effectively publicize its own activities and efforts.  A
little PR almost always helps come budget time.  Anybody in WA familiar
with this case care to comment?

Joseph M. Komljenovich
Assistant Archivist
Federal Reserve Bank of New York
Tel: (212) 720-8906
Fax: (212) 720-1749
joseph.komljenovich@ny.frb.org

Any comments or statements made in this transmission reflect the views of
the sender and are not necessarily the views of the Federal Reserve Bank of
New York.

                    Vincent Brooks
                    <VBrooks@LVA.LIB.VA.       To:     ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
                    US>                        cc:
                    Sent by: Archives &        Subject:     WA STATE LIBRARY
                    Archivists
                    <ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.M
                    UOHIO.EDU>

                    02/05/2002 11:58 AM
                    Please respond to
                    Vincent Brooks

Is everyone aware of this?

http://archives.seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/texis.cgi/web/vortex/displ

ay?slug=library28m&date=20020128&query=state+library

*****
      "I fear we have awakened a sleeping giant and filled him with a
terrible resolve."
                             -- Admiral Ishoroku Yamamoto following the
Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, HI, 7 December 1941