From: Wick, Charles Harrison [mailto:cwick@INDIANA.EDU]
Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2002 9:15 AM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: Re: Large format items

Good morning,

Another option is to find someone with a large format professional-quality
color scanner.  Our Preservation Department recently purchased an HP series
which has excellent results, and can scan 17" by 24".  Personally, I've used
a Canon digital camera which has variety of options from macro to micro
settings for large documents.  On the Canon ELF-series, images are stored as
jpegs, and the greater the resolution, the more space the images take up,
but they are small enough to put on a 3.5" disk.  As for printing, instead
of printing sections of a document to paste/tape together, we send them out
for duplicating, and the prices depend on the quality our patrons want.
Unfortunately, the places that can make these kinds of prints are a little
sparse out here.

Harrison Wick
Acquisitions Coordinator
Indiana University