Document theft

Hello List Folk,

I didn't have time to read all of RAIN this week, so I'm not sure this story
got posted.  If not, here it is.  Ahhhhh....eBay..... (sigh)

Margie

From the Nation in Brief section of the Atlanta Journal-Consititution:

Archivist charged in document theft
A veteran National Archives employee was charged with theft Monday for
allegedly stealing dozens of historical documents --- including presidential
pardons and slave trade materials --- and selling them on eBay. At least 100
documents worth at least $100,000 were stolen and many have not been
recovered. Prosecutors said Shawn Aubitz, 45, simply put the documents in his
briefcase and left the agency's field office in downtown Philadelphia.

and:
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/krphiladelphia/20020213/lo/man_stole_sold_pieces_of_history_officials_say_1.html

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/krphiladelphia/20020211/lo/archives_curator_accused_of_stealing_historic_documents_1.html

Margaret A. Compton
Media Archives Archivist
Media Archives and Peabody Awards Collection
University of Georgia, Main Library
Athens, Georgia 30602
Ph: 706-542-1971
Fax: 706-542-4144