Re: compact shelving

Well, I've never had any compact shelving installed, but I have looked into
it (new shelving, I should admit).  Some costs are the same as new shelving,
I imagine.  The largest concern either way is the state of the floor the
shelving will sit on - the floor needs a level of strength higher than
standard shelving, and may require additional reinforcement.  Get a
qualified engineer to look before considering mobile shelves.

To me, the basic used vs. new questions are 1) will the cost of transporting
the used shelving dissipate any savings you'd have over new shelves?; 2)
will the problems of somebody else's "trash" outweigh the extra costs of
brand new shelving (though that's not guaranteed to be perfect either)?; 3)
will you have the same warranty that the original owner had, with the
corollary - who do you go to if there's a problem with the shelving?

It's not that I think buying secondhand is a bad idea, only that it holds
different pitfalls.

DS

Daniel Sokolow, Archives Coordinator
David Taylor Archives
North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System
155 Community Drive
Great Neck, NY 11021