Re: Arming America

On Thu, 21 Feb 2002 15:14:36 -0600, Scott, Paul (FPM)
<paul_scott@FPM.CO.HARRIS.TX.US> wrote:

>What does surprise me, however, is that
>courthouses across the country have not been stampeded by historians and
>graduate students wanting to test out his findings in their own
communities.

Well a lot of Bellesiles critics are going back and trying to recreate his
research. and they are having a very difficult time locating his
sources.One of his critics is well known in the northeast area and as one
court clerk described the critic "if he doesn't know about them nobody does
because he has looked at all the records."

one of the main complaints about bellesiles is not his stance concerning
guns but rather the inability of other researchers to follow-up and examine
the same information. The contra Costa issue is one of the most egregious
errors re: San Francisco Probate records. Will have to dig through for my
sources. Will post here 8-)