Re: Arming America

On Thu, 21 Feb 2002 17:10:00 -0500, althea bernheim
<althea@EDUNET.TC.COLUMBIA.EDU> wrote:

>Actually, what I am very curious about in this whole debate is not Michael
>Bellesiles book, but the Contra Costa County History Center's disclosure on
>their website http://www.cocohistory.com/ccchs-sf.html of Mr. Bellesiles'
>visits or lack of visits and what he was there researching.
>
>I am very curious about this privacy issue and what others might think.

Bellesiles' book is loaded with footnotes and references. This allows other
researchers to check out the references. Contra Costa posted the information
because they have received so many inquiries after Bellesiles said that he
had seen the alleged San Francisco Probate Records in Contra Costa's
collection. They reviewed their entire collection to find the records
Bellesile's referenced.

I see a big difference between divulging the circulation records of a
library patron and someone looking at the same research material that was
disclosed in a publication.

PeterK