Legacy Oral History Workshop--San Francisco Calif.

Hello Everyone,
I've been asked to post the following announcement
to the Listserve. If interested, please respond as
indicated in the posting.

Thanks,
Bob Schmidt
Archives Listserve Coordinator
Miami University Archives
Oxford, Ohio 45056
513-529-6720
rschmidt@lib.muohio.edu
_____________________________________

PRESS RELEASE

                San Francisco Performing Arts
Library & Museum
                                             and
                             LEGACY Oral History
Project

                                           present

                  The 7th Annual Oral History
Training Workshop
                                 for the
Performing Arts

                        Wednesday-Sunday, July
10-14 2002

                        Spend a week exploring San
Francisco's performing arts
                   and benefit from the premiere
training program in oral history methods
                          devoted to preservation
of dance, music and theater.

                                              * *
*

SF PALM and LEGACY present the 7th annual Oral
History Training Workshop at PALM's new facility
in the San Francisco Civic Center.  Formerly
focused on oral history for dance, this summer's
workshop expands its outreach to music, theater
and all performing arts disciplines.

The workshop offers training in oral history
methods as they apply directly to documenting the
performing arts. Training incudes in-depth
seminars in project design, legal and ethical
issues, equipment and supplies, interviewing
techniques, transcription and editing, and
completing the research oral history document
according to the formats
and standards of the Regional Oral History Office
at University of California's Bancroft Library in
Berkeley.

Participation is open to performers and educators
in all disciplines; librarians, archivists,
writers and critics; historians, sociologists and
anthropologists interested in refining their field
work methods; and members of the general public
who want to help preserve the rich and diverse,
but ephemeral heritage of the performing arts.

                                              * *
*

LEGACY Project Director Jeff Friedman leads all
seminars.  Friedman is founder and project
director of LEGACY. Since 1988, LEGACY has been
the largest comprehensive oral history project for
the performing arts outside of New York Public
Library's Dance Collection oral history program.
Jeff received his training from staff at UC
Berkeley's
Regional Oral History Office; advanced seminars
with oral historian Charles Morrissey at Norwich
College, Vermont and with San Francisco's
Holocaust Oral History Project.  He is currently
Jacob Javits Fellow and Ph.D. candidate in the
Dance History and Theory program at the University
of California, Riverside.

                                              * *
*

Participation:   Limited.

Tuition:  Early registration, by May 1: $300, plus
$25 materials fee;
              Post-May 1st registration:   $325,
plus $25 materials fee;
              individual scholarships available
based on need

Location:  SF PALM's new facility at the War
Memorial Veteran's Building located at the San
Francisco Civic Center,  401 Van Ness Ave., Room
402

Dates and times: July 10-14, 2002
               Wednesday evening: orientation and
introductory remarks, plus a guided library tour:
7:30 - 9 pm; all Thursday, Friday and Saturday
seminars: 9 am -12 noon and1-4 pm Sunday closing
session: 10:30 am -12 noon.

Accommodations are available for four nights at a
group discount rate with a nearby pensione-style
accommodation in San Francisco, located on Market
Street, four blocks to SF PALM .  Rooms range from
double or single rooms with separate bath
facilities to rooms with private baths.
Additional accommodations nearby or convenient to
local
transportation avaialable.

PALM is on all major transportation routes to
downtown shopping, theater and museum districts,
outlying neighborhoods and the East Bay by BART
and MUNI lines, including subway and bus service,
and the historic above-ground trolley lines to the
new San Francisco Giants baseball park and Pier 39
amusement center. Connections to ferry service
traveling to Sausalito and East Bay also
available.  The Civic Center also includes 900
seat Herbst Theater, The War Memorial Opera House,
Symphony Hall, the new Asian Art Museum, the Bill
Graham Convention Hall and the New Main facility
of the San Francisco Public Library.  A wide range
of performance venues, restaurants, shopping is
available at the Civic Center, nearby Union Square
and the Yerba Buena Gardens Arts and Museum
Complex.

                                              * *
*

Testimonials from past participants in LEGACY
Training Workshops:

                                "Thank you so much
for the workshop.
                      Everyone felt it was the
best that they had ever participated in."

                            "The lectures were
excellent - entertaining - fun!
                              Wonderful
language...succinct and tactile."

   "I took away from this workshop how very
sensitive and complex this work is.  My perception
of the process has been sharpened.  I feel humbled
and excited to try my hand at it."

                   "I have new enthusiasm and new
skills to add to my future interviews."

     "I've taken away a new understanding of the
dimension of movement interwoven with intellectual
and oral expression."

          "I learned to notice gesture, posture,
tone and equate that into intepretation of the
interview."

                        "What I had felt could be
an intrusion of someone's privacy
                                  I learned can
give them great joy."

                                              * *
*

Call LEGACY's Program Manager Alyson Belcher at
415-255-4800, extension *823, or at
alysonb@sfpalm.org for more information and
registration.