Re: Original binders

Kristen,

No answers, but some factors to consider:

*   Value of the binders as exhibits.
*    Any relationship that they have to the records in them (identification
of the records, identification of the function of the records, etc.)
*    How pressed you are for space (I've pitched many binders for that
reason alone if there was no compelling reason to retain them.)
*    Potential of damage to the records if they stay in the binders. If the
records are used a lot, there will be wear and tear along the punch holes.
The records
      will also tend to curl up in the binders unless you are very careful
about storing them. I've also had binders that are locked closed by locking
tabs at the
      bottom and/or top of the spine snap open with all the unsuing chaos if
the tab catches on a shelf or something.
*    Condition of the binder rings. Damaged or sprung rings will drive you
stark raving bonkers every time you have to put the records back on the
rings after
      they slip off without the rings even being opened.
*    Would removing the records from the binders cause problems with the
donor?

Good luck!

Best wishes,

Thomas Berry, Archivist
Historical Construction Equipment Association
16623 Liberty Hi Road
Bowling Green, Ohio 43402
Phone 419-352-5616
Fax 419-352-6086