Re: Withdrawn applications

Well, a glitch just trashed the masterpiece I had just about finished
composing, but I'll try to re-create it.

I posed a few questions to consider earlier to Nancy privately, but a
some things concerned the likelihood of an individual re-applying at a
later time and grade (i.e., how recent is this stuff?) and time and
space considerations (this translates as money), but I'd want to at
least look through it for any "irregularities" such as:

essay questions and narratives.  Are they applying because the
school has a good reputation and is noted for its integrity?  Is there an
unusually large number of withdrawn applications right after a
scandalous affair involving the school?  Are they applying because it's
a good school at a reasonable cost?  Is there a high withdrawal rate
right after a tuition hike?

No, maybe they don't come right out and say why they withdraw, but
then, sometimes it doesn't need to be said...  So I'd just want to take a
look.  I probably couldn't resist checking, even if a researcher looking
for such stuff could only be provided sanitised copies and only for
research.  (Much later, I hope...)

An example of stuff considered contemporarily disposable are calling
cards, the forerunner of today's business cards.  Just turning back a
certain corner could say alot--sympathy; sorry I missed you when I
came by, and so on.  Sometimes these don't translate into modern
conventions, esp if  those who preserve/don't preserve them don't
know what they mean.  I keep some stickies forever, Some I keep for
five minutes and then trash after I've called the number.  (Why do
Americans still "dial" phone numbers?  Why aren't we digitising them
on our digital phones?  Sorry to derail the thought process...)

Stickie notes and flipped back pages are buried treasure for a
biographer.  And sometimes they really are kinda buried in a
collection.

Is it trash?  I like to look at it before tossing.  And sometimes it says
something the second time around that it didn't the first time.

Holly Hodges