MEMORIES FROM DANTE: The Life of a Coal Town

Folks, I want to call an archival/oral history/editorial project to your attention.  While I would not claim to be an unbiased observer -- indeed, this project has been dear to my heart -- I truly think it is well worth your consideration.

Thanks,

Frank

Memories From Dante: The Life of a Coal Town is a hardbound collection of 525 pages of oral histories, commentary, and over 800 historical photographs.  It tells the story of a small town in Southwestern Virginia that developed from the little crossroads of Turkey Foot into the headquarters of the Clinchfield Coal Corporation at the beginning of the 20th century, to the closing of the last Dante mine in 1959, and then to life there at the end of the 20th century.  This book is more than just the story of the coal industry; it gathers the memories of a vibrant past.  The oral histories and photographs (all contributed by residents and friends) recount the life of a thriving, multicultural mining community of 3,800 people in 1930 to a quiet town today of a thousand souls.

I was raised about seven miles from Dante and heartily recommend this book to you personally and/or as an addition to your repository's library if your mission is documenting the impact of industrialization on America and related topics.  In addition to coal mining the book includes chapters on: "Coming to a New Life, The Company Town, Life in the Hollows, Life on the Hill, Life's Pleasures, Courtship and Marriage, School Days, Getting Religion, The Doctors Made Housecalls, Dark Days, Nearby Neighbors, Changing Times, and Precious Memories."

Edited by Katharine C. Shearer and published by People Incorporated of Southwest Virginia, the book sold out its first printing and the second printing has just been received.  Purchase orders are accepted. It may be ordered ($48 plus $8 S&H) from:

Memories From Date
People Inc.
1173 West Main Street
Abingdon, VA 24210

This has truly been a labor of love for the editor.  People Inc. of Southwest Virginia is a community action agency whose mission is to help people and communities solve their problems.  If you would like further information on the Dante project or People Inc., please contact her:

Kathy Shearer
kshearer@naxs.com
276/619/2271
www.peopleincorp.org/Dantebook.htm

The tape recordings and transcripts have been given to the Archives of Appalachia at East Tennessee State University and an automated finding aid is being prepared to supplement the existing tape indexes and summaries.  For access and information regarding possible research topics, please contact:

Norma Myers
Archives of Appalachia
Box 70295
East Tennessee State University