Deaccessioning & the missing

Dear Listserv,

I'm just wondering what policies others have regarding deaccessioning
material from their collections, especially items that have gone missing.
Do you wait ( and if so how long) for the missing to show up? Do you
maintain a public record that you had the missing item but you don't have
it anymore?
Yes, yes I know I should have a policy that will prevent things from
growing legs and walking off. And there is one, and things going missing
are rare, but when something is discovered as being missing what do you do?

Thanks

M Marie Maxwell
Archivist
John Q. Adams Center for the History of Otolaryngology-
Head and Neck Surgery Foundation
1 Prince Street
Alexandria, VA 22314
703-519-1596

JOIN US FOR OUR ANNUAL MEETING AND OTO EXPO, SEPTEMBER 22-25, IN SAN DIEGO,
CALIFORNIA

This information is provided by the American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head
and Neck Surgery Foundation, Inc. (AAO-HNSF) for educational purposes only.
Any information provided in this communication should not be considered
medical advice or a substitute for a consultation with an otolaryngologist-
head and neck surgeon or other physician. The AAO-HNS and AAO-HNSF will not
offer medical advice or recommend any physician for treatment of medical
disorders; such requests cannot be answered.