From: Archives & Archivists [mailto:ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU] On
Behalf Of Bob Schmidt
Sent: Thursday, March 07, 2002 4:24 PM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: Scrap Book Processing Question

I've been asked to post the following query to the
listserve. If you can help, please respond
directly to Thomas Wildenberg at the email address
given.

Thanks,
Bob Schmidt
Archives Listserve Coordinator
Miami University Archives
Oxford, Ohio 45056
513-529-6720
rschmidt@lib.muohio.edu
______________________________________
Looking for recommendations concerning the
preservation of two scrap books
dating from the First World War.

They contain photographs, ephemera, and newspaper
clippings.  Most of the
photographs were attached without glue using
standared edge corners.  The
emphemera is a mixed bag, some glued, some
attached using corners.  The news
clips have all been glued to the pages.  The
subject matter is extremely
valuable and needs to be preserved.  As one would
expect the black pages on
which this material is placed is becoming brittle
with age.  Here's the
question.   Do I retain the books as is, or is it
better separate the
materials and to preserve them separately, e.g.
photocopy the news clips,
photographs in acid free folders, etc.?  If the
former, is it recommended to
interleave each sheet with buffered tissue paper?
No need to tell me about
retaining the provenance, if I have to break the
books up I will  photocopy
the the originals making sure to number the pages
so that the original order
is retained.

Recommendations as to which way to proceed would
be greatly appreciated.

Please respond directly via email.

Thanking all who respond in advance,

Thomas Wildenberg
Consulting Archivist
National Museum of Jewish American Military
History
email : twildenberg@jwv.org