From: Jeff Rowan [mailto:jrowan@DU.EDU]
Sent: Friday, March 08, 2002 3:46 PM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: Library Science editorial

Mr. Sony Barari:

I found your editorial ridiculing the idea of a graduate program in Library Science to be both "stupid" and a shocking display of ignorance, given your education.  In fact, you repeatedly made statements to the effect that you "don't understand" the whole concept of Library Science.  If that is so, why did you feel expert enough to make so many sweeping generalizations about it?

Do ideas like Freedom of Information and Intellectual Freedom have any relevance to you?  These are things about which librarians, archivists, and the American Library Association are concerned.

I wonder how you would have pursued your education without relying on the information found in libraries and elsewhere organized and made accessible by people with MLS degrees.  Your idea of "looking into the program," is reading the description?  That doesn't sound like a very sound basis on which to make any scientifically credible conclusions.

Your complete reliance on stereotypes and insults shows that your approach to the subject is about as rational as a "trained monkey."  If your problem is the use of the word "science," maybe you should look up the definition.  But, you might have to consult a librarian to help you.

Sincerely,

Jeff Rowan (not a "socially inept housewife")
Library Information Science graduate student
University of Denver