Re: Library Science editorial

Actually, there are more than 2000 subscribers to the listserv with
equally thick skins, who feel/felt no need to engage in the daily
ARCHIVES list brouhaha.  Many of us librarians and archivists at UCLA
took the _Daily Bruin_ article as a bit of satirical goofiness,
realizing that undergrads are approaching Winter Quarter final exams
(which begin a week from now) and let off steam in various ways. This
is apparent from the writer's first sentence; no Molecular, Cell and
Developmental Bio student gets to the 4th year with a string of D's; and
the second one, talking about comic potential.  Barari is probably
studying in the stacks of the Biomed library even as I write this; and
is welcome to come and use our History & Special Collections anytime.

Cheers,

Russell Johnson

On Fri, 8 Mar 2002 15:58:02 -0500 "Eric v.d. Luft, Ph.D., M.L.S."
<lufte@MAIL.UPSTATE.EDU> wrote:

> Are Susan M. Anderson, Conan Cerretani, and I the only people on this
> list with skins thick enough to endure a wet-behind-the-ears ignoramus
> accidentally stumbling upon the truth about the pretentious formal
> educational requirements of our profession?
>
> We enjoy our jobs, we do them well, and that's all that really matters.
>
> Lighten up!
>
> Eric v.d. Luft, Ph.D., M.L.S.
> Curator of Historical Collections, Health Sciences Library
> SUNY Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, NY 13210
> <http://web.upstate.edu/lufte/> -- 315-464-4585
> Listowner: ALHHS-L <http://web.upstate.edu/lufte/alhhs-l.html>
> For e-mail pertaining to libraries, librarianship, or the history of
>  medicine, please use <lufte@mail.upstate.edu> not <lufte@upstate.edu>
> For all other e-mail, please use <gegensatz@alumni.bowdoin.edu>
>
> "Be always sure you're right, then go ahead."
>                                           -- Davy Crockett
>                                 [Autobiography, 1834, title page]

Russell A. Johnson        rjohnson@library.ucla.edu

Archivist and Cataloger              (310) 825-6940
History & Special Collections Division
Louise M. Darling Biomedical Library, UCLA
Box 951798     Los Angeles CA  90095-1798
http://www.library.ucla.edu/libraries/biomed/his/

Archivist              (310) 825-3191  or  206-2753
Neuroscience History Archives
Brain Research Institute, UCLA
Box 951761     Los Angeles CA  90095-1761
http://www.NeuroscienceArchives.org