Re: Children in Reading Rooms

I've worked several places that occasionally had small children arriving
with researchers, and one place that to some extent encouraged children, and
two places I never saw anybody under 30 (ok 18).  The place that try's to be
a "community" research library is located in South Los Angeles and has quite
an extensive collection of children's books (more than 100) that we
encouraged the neighborhood children who stopped by for water on their way
home to peruse, as well as any children old enough to hold a book.  The
other two places did not have child appropriate materials to hand, but I'm a
sucker for kids under 3 and gladly entertain them (if they'll let me) on the
rare occasions that they show up.  It was considered more a part of my job
when I was a student assistant in the reference room at the Schlesinger,
here it has only happened once so far, and actually both mothers were on
hand, so I did get back to work before my supervisor had a chance to
complain ;)  I've also had co-worker's children -- home sick or on odd
holiday's -- usually they end up playing computer games or watching videos
on the VCR, but sometimes you can actually put them to work for awhile.

Julia Bazar
Special Projects Librarian (Archivist)
GLBT Historical Society of Northern Ca.
973 Market Street, Suite 400