digital ephemera?

Hello,

Does anyone know if *any* work at all has been done concerning the
preservation of "ephemera" that is available ONLY on the web?

Specifically, I'm thinking of things like banner ads and online greeting
cards; I'm sure there are more corresponding ephemera types (some
experts I've contacted have mentioned memorial sites, clip art and
blogs). I'm currently going through Rickard's *Encyclopedia of Ephemera*
to seek out more types of ephemera that could conceivably be found on
the Web.

I'm curious to know if archivists would consider any digital items  to
be ephemera. Another question might be if they should be preserved, by
who should be responsible, and how (one person I've contacted suggested
screen capture software.)  I'm also wondering about the format.  These
items *are* originally in electronic form; but does this mean they
should be preserved solely in this form?  Most people will print pages
out -- freezing a banner ad if there is one at the top of a document, or
print out a greeting card or other item if it is of sentimental value.

I'm to write a paper on this subject for a graduate archival
preservation course.  I've already contacted the Ephemera Society of
America, but would very much value the opinions of professional
archivists (and others) interested either in ephemera or thorny digital
issues facing the profession.

Thank you very much for your consideration!

Respectfully,
Kathleen Casey (a lurker for lo these three years)

Kathleen Casey
Reference Assistant, Hamersly Library
Western Oregon University
Monmouth, OR 97361