From: Butcher Sharon L Contr AEDC/ACS
[mailto:Sharon.Butcher@ARNOLD.AF.MIL]
Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 1:43 PM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: Re: vinyl in a time capsule?

I think Sandy's suggestion to not include the banner is a sound one.
Hydrochloric acid is sure to result, and I would bet there would be a film
of it on the banner when the capsule is opened. I do not know if the banner
is all vinyl, or a coated woven fabric. If a woven fabric, what at the
constituents of that, as well as other parts of the structural nature of the
banner? I see we also have metal grommets....surely there would be some
chemical reaction over time involving the metallic grommets (of what metal?
or alloy?) with hydrochloric acid. Grommets are somewhat pliant, as that
metal is squished into a grommet configuration from a circle. Is the grommet
painted or coated? We might have a mini-cocktail of chemicals here. Even if
the capsule is hermitically sealed and all that good stuff, I'd opt for not
including the banner in the time capsule. The other objects (whatever they
are) in the time capsule might be problematic from a similar standpoint if
they are of synthetic nature. Paper/pulp items should fare well. Also, I
would think photographs or anything with an emulsion or coating on other
capsule contents would be at risk.

Sharon Lee Butcher
Reference Librarian
AEDC Technical Library