From: Maarja Krusten [mailto:Maarja@AOL.COM]
Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2002 10:29 AM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: Re: List quality (was insulting whatever)

RAIN is an acronym for Records and Archives In the News.  I disagree that it
is spam.  For subscribers who lack access to paid databases such as
Nexis/Lexis, it is a good, quick way to find out what is in the news.  I
happen to be interested in a number of public policy issues.  The records
that officials create or don't create, preserve or fail to preserve, or
withhold or provide access to will have a critical impact on future
historians and researchers.   I am lucky to have access to Nexis/Lexis
through my job as a federal historian. Despite this, at a minimum, I still
scan the headers for RAIN messages to look for ones that relate to my
interests.  The fact that Peter uses topical breakdowns is useful.  He
clearly puts a lot of effort into it and I think that deserves
acknowledgement.
Maarja Krusten
Maarja@aol.com
In a message dated Thu, 14 Mar 2002 10:19:37 AM Eastern Standard Time, "Eric
v.d. Luft, Ph.D., M.L.S." <lufte@MAIL.UPSTATE.EDU> writes:

> Daniel Sokolow rather accurately wrote:
>
> > Actually, Conan, the list messages break down as follows
> >
> > 25% - RAIN articles
> > 15% - Me too responses
> > 5% - Useful information
> > 5% - Spam offering sexual bliss and/or thousands of dollars working from
> > home
> > 50% - Messages from Don Saklad complaining about paper clip abuse at the
> > Boston Public Library
>
> It doesn't have to be as bad as this. For example, I customized my
Netscape to automatically delete
> anything from both Saklad and Paul Knobel, so I never see their dung
anymore. Also, I don't know
> what RAIN is, but I know what SPAM is -- (Self-Promotional Advertising
Mail) -- and IMHO, RAIN =