Archival policies and comments

Hi Archivists--
I'm a library science graduate student working on one of her "final"
papers. Part of my paper concerns SAA's  and ALA's Codes of Ethics.

   * I'm seeking a few "good" examples of archival institutional
     policies that demonstrate (?) compliance or recognition of archival

     ethical principles:

For example: respect of donor privacy, how researchers'--if
agreeable--can be put in touch with each other;
privacy, copyright protection, or confidentiality. Or other examples one

might find compelling. Of course, any that seem to conflict with each
other might be particularlly interesting. Or examples that are
distinctly different from the Librarians' tenets.

Obviously the two professions have different missions: In particular in
the area of acquisitions and to some degree censorship & intellectual
freedom issues. I've read a couple nice news articles that discuss the
questionable ethics of government officials donating their collections
to private institutions where they might be able to restrict access and
may not be unbias evaluators of the historical significance of their
papers. (ie. then-gov Bush and now the former mayor of NY, Guiliani
(sp?).

I apologize if this is an inappropriate forum for which to post this
plea. I did root around a bit in your "archives" and found a couple
nice--albeit brief--discussions regarding ethics. The one that comes to
mind related to how much help to offer an adoptee find his (?) birth
mother. I recall that most simply said they would treat him like any
other user/visitor but would not consult outside/personal sources in his

quest.

Thanks for any assistance.
Respectively,

Kathy Nixon
San Jose Library Science and Information student,

I need any material one offers by Apr 1.

Please contact me off-list at either:

kathyn@sonoma.lib.ca.us or
kathy9@msn.com