Librarians in the 21st Century Website

Mr./Ms.? Bradley,
In the course of a discussion on the Archives & Archivists listserv, a link
to your SIS class' website came up, and several of us had some comments
about it.  I thought I'd try & be constructive about it and bring some of
the concerns those of us in the profession might have with the page
dedicated to our humble selves.
The relevant URL: http://istweb.syr.edu/21stcenlib/who/archivist.html
The relevant paragraph:
"The primary job of the archivist is to determine the best method of
preserving and storing artifacts. These artifacts can be anything from a
locket of hair to a famous painting. Archivists preserve and record various
kinds of artifacts that are of irreplaceable value. Archivists may work in
traditional library settings, but others may experience more exotic
settings, including museums and archaeological sites."
Without being rude, I'd like to suggest that the students misunderstood what
we do as archivists.  This description, frankly, reads more like a museum
curator than an archivist.  Granted our collections might contain these
kinds of artifacts, but by and large we deal with paper and electronic
materials.  More importantly, our interest lies with RECORDS rather than
ARTIFACTS (sorry for the caps, but...)  Anything can be a record of the
activity of an institution, including those locks of hair and famous
paintings.

By far, however, our collections are made up of more mundane materials, at
least in format though not content.  I only fear that the page leaves a
wrong impression about our work, which is more like the librarians
themselves and less like the museum curators they make us sound like.  I
apologize if this is clear to you, as I imagine it is, but the webpage does
not capture the essence of what archivists do.

One other point, that I make on my own behalf.  While I appreciate the
emphasis on the critical issue of electronic records, the basic features of
reference, arrangement & description, outreach, etc. are all missing from
the job description.  Obviously you can't get everything in, but the site
makes me feel like a computer tech.  The bibliography reflects that
e-records focus - there are plenty of good basic reference books that should
have been mentioned as well.
Two small technical points.  In the education section, they link to SAA's
website with lists of Master's programs in AM - the link to SAA is dead.
Second, I'd like to suggest that the Webliography mention the Archives &
Archivists listserv as a critical resource, which it is for many of us.
(http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/archives.html)
Sincerely,

DS
Daniel Sokolow, Archives Coordinator
David Taylor Archives
North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System
155 Community Drive
Great Neck, NY 11021
mailto:dsokolow@nshs.edu