Re: Archives and rare books

Lesley/Gang:
Though I never took his course at UT Austin (I couldn't fit it into my
schedule), I bought all of the materials for Richard Oram's rare book
course.

The texts were:

A reader containing some wonderful articles, mostly from the periodical
RBML, and Jean Peter's text Book Collecting.

Phillip Gaskell, A New Introduction to Bibliography.  For book printing
history and descriptive cataloging skills.
John Carter, ABC for book collectors.  For all those rare book terms.

Jane Greenfield, The Care of Fine Books.  For exhibits and preservation
knowledge.

They have all proved helpful to me.

Also, the Rare Book and Manuscript Society of ALA has a great website:
<http://www.rbms.nd.edu/>, which has many of the policy guidelines they
have adopted concerning loans, and exhibits of rare books.  They also
have a journal entitled RBML, which just changed its name to RBM.

Julie Grob at UHouston has compiled many other pertiment web sites on
rare books at:<http://info.lib.uh.edu/speccoll/specres.htm>

Rare books on the
web:<http://www.geocities.com/albertmasters/rarebooksontheweb.html>

Rare book handling, preservation and storage on the
web:<http://www.nlc-bnc.ca/cfl-cbgf/liaison/1998/98-2/9802-5e.htm>

Of course, there are also wonderful courses each year at UVA's rare book
school, if you can afford to go:<http://www.virginia.edu/oldbooks/>.

Mark

Mark Lambert
Special Collections and Government Documents Librarian
Fred Parks Law Library
South Texas College of Law
Houston, TX