From:   Shirleigh Brannon [mailto:Shirleigh_Brannon@DOT.CA.GOV]
Sent:   Wednesday, March 20, 2002 10:23 AM
To:     ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject:        confessions of an evil lurker <g>

OK, I'll admit it - true confession, I'm (anguished sob!) "a Lurker."  I'm
coming out of the closet, briefly, since lurkers are temporarily one of the
hopt topics again, but I'll probably go right back.

It's been a long time since I worked in an archives, though that function
is a part of my current position. I don't usually know the answers to
questions that are posted, am generally interested in keeping abreast of
topics, and have found searching the archives useful when I have had
questions. I have to sign (not one but) two screens at logon each day
promising I won't use the State's property for non-work related pasttimes,
so I can't in good faith join in in posting humor, etc.

I receive the list in digest form so the concept of a "delete key" is null
and void for me. However, I am perfectly capable of using the scroll bar
and have a pretty good idea of who to ignore. (I hate mime attachments with
a passion, BTW, since they show up as stacks of gobbledygook. However, it
appears to come with the turf when one subscribes in digest form, so I deal
with it.)

I have gleaned a lot of useful information from the list, enjoy the Friday
Funnies, and am/have been on numerous listservs with more or less
extraneous traffic than this one. I don't usually post to the list when I
have an "opinion" about a hot non-archives-related dispute, because I
really have nothing cogent or useful to add, and the last time I had a
pithy-but-not-pertinent-to-anything-of importance comment to make, I sent
it to Mr. Sokolow, who was very kind in his response. I didn't actually
vote on the "reply to sender vs. reply to all" issue, because I didn't feel
like I should vote as a non-active participant, but if I had voted, it
would have been for the "reply to all" defualt, because the replies to
archives-type questions are frequently of interest and potentially useful
to me.

I usually scan RAIN briefly just to see what's up in the world, am grateful
to Mr. K  for the time he takes to put it together, and would a thousand
times rather see Friday Funnies and Not-Quite-Friday-Funnies and
Not-Quite-Friday-Not-Quite-Funnies and RAIN and everybody's replies to
archives questions (and what the heck, probably even the blasted mime
gobbledygook) than have to scroll through nasty flame wars.

Anyway, now I have "un-lurked" so that you know who I am (and added
absolutely nothing pertinent or cogent, see? I warned you....)   Now, back
into my little closet until I have something really useful to add.  Lurk,
lurk, lurk.

Cordially,

Shirleigh Brannon
History Librarian & Historical Records Officer
California Department of Transportation
Transportation Library and History Center, MS 45
1120 N Street, Room 1430
Sacramento, CA  95814-5605
Transportation Library and History Center