Re: Linking finding aid to online catalog

Bonnie et al:

>It makes sense to make a link from the MARC online catalog record to the
>finding aid (from less info to the more comprehensive info)...but I would
>expect the finding aid to have all the same information in it that is in the
>catalog record.  So what is to be gained?  Just curious.

I read that post and was wondering this myself and then I got to thinking about our own finding aids.  We don't put our subject access points (650s, 651s, etc) in finding aids, but they are in the catalog and linkable there and can direct researchers to potentially but not directly-related records that aren't mentioned in our inventories.  Also our related records statements in inventories are only live links if the related records are also processed (all inventories for all processed series are online)-- but the catalog entry will have live links to the catalog entries for all related records, processed or not.  So there are a few things in our catalog record that are not in the inventory.
But now we just have to decide if it's overkill since every subpage on our webpage, inventories or otherwise all have a link to our main catalog search screen (just not the individual catalog record.)

Arlene Schmuland
Patron Services Archivist
Utah State Archives Research Center