78 Turntable

Larry,

Re: finding a 78 turntable, I have a couple of suggestions. One is to write to the ARSC (Assoc. of Recorded Sound Collections) list ARSCLIST@ats.rochester.edu - Though they may overload you with technica and shy away from steering you towards just getting "something that plays", they're as helpful the members of this list are (there seem to be a few "overlappers" aside from myself) and I am certain you will get some useful feedback.

My recent personal experience with buying a turntable to play (and hopefully transcribe a portion onto CDR) my LP and 78 collection led me to buy a VESTAX  BDT 2000 for somewhere in the area of $300-400. This has the capacity to play virtually any speed from 16 to 98 rpm, which comes in particularly handy with 78s recorded off-speed, a not uncommon occurrance. I looked into a few others in the same price range, but settled on this one because it has a built-in phono amp. My new amp, like nearly all new amps, has lots of inputs and doodads, but no phono input, so I would have had to add a phono pre-amp unit with any of the other turntables. Not too big a deal, but it would have taken up space and added to the already considerable clutter on  my hi-fi area. If you are interested and can't turn up this turntable with a simple web search, let me know and I'll try to dig up my receipt and send you the name of the vendor.

Hope this helped,

Peter "trying to be less of a lurk" Hirsch