copyright question

Hello list:

Here is a copyright question:

Is the copyright of letters written by employees of a company, in their
official capacity with that company (e.g. director of the organization),
owned by the company or the employee who wrote them?  My instinctive feeling
is that the company owns the copyright, and these would be works that fall
under the distinction "works made for hire," but I would appreciate hearing
other people's opinions.

Kristin E. Martin
Assistant Archivist
The Cleveland Museum of Art