scrapbook response summary

Thank you to the several who provided suggestions to follow up on.  Now to
find the money and plan the program....

***  Iowa State
something similar which emphasizes kids as active agents in the
documentation process. We developed a brochure with tips, gave them tours
and highlighted items done when donors were children (particularly diaries).
This can also be done with online sources as well.

*** Little Rock, AR
explore the possibility of the children using "acid free" pages and
fasteners for their scrapbooks. You could also tell them about why paper
"ages" so quickly and the need for "archival" preservations practices. Can't
start too early. [check] library supply houses, separate  catalogues,
pamphlets, books, etc. on conservation supplies and paper conservation.

*** Two, unknown and New Orleans, La.

See if there is a Creative Memories representative in your area who would be
interested in participating. http://www.creativememories.com/
(turns out there are 5...I'll be checking)

a "Scrapbook Day" at our Collection. I invited the Creative Memories
folks and also had catalogs to give away from Gaylord, University Products,
and Metal Edge.  I offered preservation advice and we also took either a
photo or a scan of each scrapbook they brought in. We had mostly adult women
though I sent mailings to the schools. I also had an exhibit of our
scrapbooks. I can send you our publicity.  I know the California Historical
Society had an exhibit and some handouts for kids.

(Poster mailing was called "Keeping Memories"-very,very nice with three
events for the month, an author lecture, reading group on "friendship" in
fiction and biography, and the keeping scrapbooks program)

*** McLean, Virginia
completed a program with a dozen of our freshmen on bookmaking. The
girls were introduced to the history of the school, the reason why one keeps
an archives, preservation practices and standards. I showed them some
scrapbooks from the early 1900s. Then, we showed them how to make an
"archival" quality scrapbook.  We gave each girl a disposable camera to take
photographs for her scrapbook; we encouraged them to write and draw in their
books and collect souvenirs and memorabilia.  Finally, we had an exhibition
of their work. The girls absolutely loved this project.

I would recommend Marie Browning's HANDCRAFTED JOURNALS, ALBUMS, SCRAPBOOKS
&  MORE, Sterling Publishing Co. Inc.

*** unknown location
Why not have the kids do their scrapbooks as webpages, and they
can be stored digitally and copied easy on cdroms?  My website
is my scrapbook, family history photo album, etc., and cousins around
the world can print out their own copies.  Just get a scanner and teach
them some HTML in Notepad.

*** unknown location
I am a new person too, and love your idea.  Would enjoy seeing some of the

Here they are

Bonnie Travers, Associate Librarian
Special Collections
The University of Arizona