Anyone with a YAHOO group subscription should read this....

I know this is not a problem for THIS listserv, but may be for other groups
to which I know we all belong (gov recs, for one).  Yahoo did not actually
change these "marketing" settings, but merely added them in their
'makeover' a few weeks back, and set all the defaults to YES.  So, if
you've noticed an increase in your e-spam lately, this may be why....
ttfn - Jill.

Jill L Schneider
USGS - Alaska Technical Data Unit
907-786-7457
jschnidr@usgs.gov
http://alaskaminerals.wr.usgs.gov
----- Forwarded by Jill L Schneider/GD/USGS/DOI on 04/01/2002 04:16 PM
-----

                    "Meerkat"
                    <meerkat01@ro        To:     <hedgehog_help@yahoogroups.com>
                    gers.com>            cc:
                                         Subject:     [hedgehog_help] Yahoo sending  spam after changing everyone's
                    03/29/2002           settings
                    04:01 AM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    hedgehog_help

Hi, Everyone.
Going to cross-post this, and apologies to all who are on more lists than
this one. I've received this message on some other lists I belong to, and
went to the Yahoo Groups page to check it out. It is true - every single
choice was on "yes" for asking to receive "information" about a dozen
different subjects. I never changed my settings and  was wondering why my
"spam levels" have been raising the last few days!

Yahoo has made a sneaky change to everybody's 'Marketing Preferences', the
result of which is and will be a load of spam.  To change  them back,
here's
what you need to do to avoid all the ads.

you
would do to read your lists messages online.

Go to My Groups and click on Account Info, verify your password if it asks
you to, and your Yahoo ID card comes up.
Click on 'Edit your Marketing Preferences' under your e-mail addresses, and
change all those Yes's back to No's, except those areas you are interested
in.
Click Save Changes.

*** Important: Don't forget the address and phone number at the bottom of
that list too or they will call or mail you things.  (I never supply my
real
address; put in things like 123 XXXX Street, XXXX Town, 12345  or something
like that.)

You only need to do this once, but if you belong to even one Yahoogroup,
you
need to change your settings back to "No" to avoid this extra garbage in
your mailbox.

Meerkat

Buy Stock for $4.
No Minimums.