From: Archives & Archivists [mailto:ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU]On Behalf Of Samantha Grantham
Sent: Tuesday, April 02, 2002 3:49 PM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: purchasing conflict of interest

Currently our policy regarding purchasing deaccessioned materials at auction reads:

"No objects to be deaccessioned can be acquired privately by any staff, volunteer, board member, or committee member of the Society unless acquired by purchase at a public sale of such objects or through other means of public disposal."

Is this standard and ethical practice? It is my understanding that anyone associated with an institution should not knowingly purchase deaccessioned materials from that institution because it is a conflict of interest.

Does anyone else have a similar policy?

Samantha Grantham
Collections Manager
Beverly Historical Society