E-BAY PROJECT

Awhile ago, I asked for opinions concerning selling deaccessioned items on e-bay. The following is a short report I sent to my boss concerning the issue (I have edited it a bit - I apologize if it is a little stilted or disjointed). It takes into account the responses I got as well as the article in a recent issue of American Archivist that addresses the same issue (talk about great timing!). If I have misstated anyone's advice, or anyone else would like to further address the issue, please feel free to respond directly to the list. I'm sure it would benefit everyone.

Joe Gillette
Orange County Regional History Center
Orlando, FL

            In order to better consider the option of selling de-accessioned papers on e-bay, I addressed two archival list

serves concerning the issue. These were the list serves for the Society of American Archivists (SAA) and the Society of Florida

Archivists. Altogether, I received three responses that were of direct help. A few others pointed me in the direction of an

article in The Archivist, the monthly magazine of the SAA, concerning just this issue. All of these will be taken into account

concerning this procedural option.

            All three of the list serve responders insisted on clear ownership of the materials. In other words, a signed Deed of Gift is a necessity before selling. One wouldn't, after all, want to sell something that doesn't actually belong to them.

            Two of the three responders also suggested first offering the materials as a donation to some other institution that might benefit. If there were no takers, then selling the items on e-bay is certainly an acceptable option.

            The third responder addressed some other issues. First, naturally, this policy would require the approval of the Director and the Board. Nothing could or should be done without their knowledge and consent. Second, any revenues from the sale of materials ought to go back into a general fund for the Collections Department. After all, why spend time and effort only to see the funds go to some other department? Also, complete openness, with the public as well as internally, is a necessity. Quietly selling items to a small, handpicked group would be unethical and probably illegal. If people should ask about procedures, lying about the selling of materials would also be unethical. Certainly, if anyone, a donor or otherwise, should ask, then we should be up-front and let them know that, yes, we do occasionally sell materials.

            The American Archivist article was significantly more in-depth concerning the issue. It addressed disposition options open to archivists in the order in which they should be considered:

1.      Check the Deed of Gift to make sure there are no restrictions on disposition.

2.      Items with research value outside the scope of the archive should be offered to more suitable institutions. This kind of inter-institutional consideration ?falls within the collecting policy guidelines of the Society of American Archivists? code of ethics?. (American Archivist, Vol. 64 No 2, Fall/Winter 2001. p. 353.)

3.      Discard, or, as this article addresses, sell the item(s).

The article goes on to state that the selling institution ought to consider any restrictions placed upon its actions

based on legal considerations. For example, materials purchased for the collection with government funds would be off-limits. Also, in the case of uncertainty "of possessing clear title, deaccession [and any final disposal] should be deferred until the status of the material in question is clarified?. (p. 357)

            The museum ought also to consider the ?impact of selling on donor relations?. (p. 357) In other words, public outcry, whether from one individual or several, may create a level of ill-will toward the museum out of all proportion to any material benefit obtained from the sale of materials. How to deal with this?

                        ?the most obvious response to this problem is for an institution to

                        honestly acknowledge the vicissitudes of life and the possibility

                        of [a]?changed financial climate. Statements that acknowledge

these possibilities [i.e., the sale of materials]?should be

included in the deed of gift.? (p. 358)

            The article did not state an explicit policy for the use of the funds. Some institutions use proceeds from sales only for the purchase of materials for the collection, while others use the money for supplies and other materials needed to do the job. The article does not take sides on this issue.

            The article proceeds to describe a trial effort at selling on the part of a library at the University of Wisconsin. The archive therein took into account ?the reputation of the institution, the feelings of donors (including future donors), and the concerns of?board members. Items were also selected according to their appeal to collectors and their likely selling price?. (p. 358)

            The library reached the following conclusions. They determined that the cost of staff time was minimal when compared to the income received. They also received no negative reaction from the public.

            The article ends by declaring that selling ?is an appropriate deaccessioning option in some cases. Selling online is an option that more archives may consider as they work to develop their collections, open shelf space, become more self-supporting, and fulfill their missions of preserving unique records with continuing value?. (p. 362)

            The conclusion I've reached is that selling items on e-bay is a valid course of action for those materials an archive no longer wishes to have in its collection. I agree with those that advised to first consider donation to a more suitable institution, but assuming one cannot be found, then selling on e-bay is an appropriate action. It will allow for the freeing up of space for materials more appropriate to our collections policy, as well as create a source of income for the expansion and care of our collection. At the same time, these items would find a new home with someone who could better care for and appreciate them.

--- Joseph Gillette

--- Joseph Gillette
--- joegillette@earthlink.net

A posting from the Archives & Archivists LISTSERV List! To subscribe or unsubscribe, send e-mail to listserv@listserv.muohio.edu In body of message: SUB ARCHIVES firstname lastname *or*: UNSUB ARCHIVES To post a message, send e-mail to archives@listserv.muohio.edu Or to do *anything* (and enjoy doing it!), use the web interface at http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/archives.html Problems? Send e-mail to Robert F Schmidt