stacking file cabinets - thanks!

My sincere thanks to everyone who has responded to my inquiry on stacking
file cabinets. Further replies are certainly welcome, so please chime in
with any additional comments. The general consensus so far is that although
this can be done, it has the potential to be dangerous to people and
damaging to collections. (I don't think we realized that the weight of the
upper cabinet could bend the drawers in the lower cabinet.)

It was suggested that we transfer the materials to archival storage boxes,
and that is our goal. But until we have a secure location for these
materials, we're hiding them in plain sight - in the locked file cabinets.

I appreciate your input and have collected all the responses to share with
my co-workers.

Laurie

Laurie Langland
Project Archivist
Layne Library, Dakota Wesleyan University
1200 W. University Ave.
Mitchell, SD 57301
lalangla@dwu.edu