vertical files to compact shelving

Hello!

As part of our library renovation, we're going to be moving the contents of about 50  4-drawer vertical filing cabinets into compact shelving. They contain the library's artist and institutional files--clippings, brochures, etc., all filed in ordinary file folders. It is a very heavily used collection, both for research and with volunteers filing new additions.

We expect that the vendors will have some solutions to offer (lateral files on the compact shelving carriages, hanging folders, etc.), but would appreciate input on what worked (or didn't) for others. For a lot of reasons, just putting the folders on shelves won't work--at the very least they'd all have to be refoldered into accordion folders. Has anyone boxed VF materials in open-top boxes to place on shelving? How much bulk did this add to the collection? Did it help or hinder access?

Has anyone experienced such a move? Would you be willing to share your experiences?

Thanks!
Deborah

Deborah Wythe
Brooklyn Museum of Art Archives
200 Eastern Parkway
Brooklyn, NY 11238
tel: 718 638 5000 x311
fax: 718 638 3731
email: deborahwythe@hotmail.com

A posting from the Archives & Archivists LISTSERV List! To subscribe or unsubscribe, send e-mail to listserv@listserv.muohio.edu In body of message: SUB ARCHIVES firstname lastname *or*: UNSUB ARCHIVES To post a message, send e-mail to archives@listserv.muohio.edu Or to do *anything* (and enjoy doing it!), use the web interface at http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/archives.html Problems? Send e-mail to Robert F Schmidt