Re: Harper's article: shellac albums

At 12:20 PM 4/10/2002 -0700, Steve Green wrote:
You are thinking that the
writer literally means shellac, as in lacquer coated ("acetate") discs which
are usually instantaneous recordings and are, as you suggest, very
vulnerable to many forms of damage and degradation.

Thanks for your response - let me clarify. I think Steve may well be right
with his theory of the loose use of the term, but I was thinking of actual
shellac records, made in the early 1900s out of real shellac. I think my
question, though, also applies to acetate and vulcanite recordings, which,
I had thought, all pose preservation problems...

Amy Filiatreau