Re: Intellectual Control/Third Party Negotiations

I remember attending a session at SAA a few years ago that discussed this
very issue. The archivists at the Archives of Labor and Urban Affairs,
Wayne State University apparently deal with this all the time, and they
explained their methods at the session. Two things that stuck in my mind
are the need to carefully delineate the terms of the loan in a written
agreement and to push for monetary compensation for all the processing,
preservation, and description done on the collection if it is removed from
the repository.

I agree with the folks who say you need to talk to the donor to find out
what his issues are. At the same time, I think you need to be frank and
explain what your organization's issues are, and that you might need to
justify a loan to the PTB.

Contact information for the Wayne State folks: Archives of Labor and Urban
Affairs, Wayne State University, Walter P. Reuther Library, 5401 Cass
Avenue, Detroit MI 48202, 313-577-4024, http://www.reuther.wayne.edu/.

Hope this helps.

Jim Cross
Special Collections