Re: Experience with digital copiers for public use?

On Wed, 17 Apr 2002, Joe Anderson wrote:

> We'd like to find out if archives or libraries are using digital copiers for
> public use.  If you are, can you tell us what your experience has been and
> what model copier you're using? Thanks,

Last fall the Bronx Zoo Library replaced a 10 year old Xerox Booksaver
photocopier with a Minolta PS7000 Publication scanner, with Minolta printer and
digital output via SCSI port.  There has been a steep learning curve for our
users, who include visiting graduate students and other researchers in addition
to staff members for the Bronx Zoo or other divisions of the Wildlife
Conservation Society.  The copier is definitely used by many users other than
two librarians and a library assistant.

We have found that one on one demonstrations coupled with printed
directions of our PS7000 saved settings --single page, two pages on one, two
pages on two--go a long way making users productive and minimizing wasted paper.
A few staff still say the new copier drives them crazy.

Since library staff are just getting up to speed on making Tiff and PDF files
from scanned images, we have not tried to teach others to use the imaging
software used to make digital files.

The only additional feature I would like to see in the Minolta scanner would be
a duplex mode for its high volume printer.

Steve Johnson
Bronx Zoo Library
Wildlife Conservation Society
sjohnson@wcs.org